Your body depends on water to survive. About 60% of the human adult body is water. According to a study by H.H. Mitchell, published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry 158, it is stated that the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water. The skin contains 64% water, muscles and kidneys are 79%. Hence, hydration is very important. Don't you think?
Hydration is one of the fundamentals of human nutrition and a very vital part of survival. The body can stay about twenty-one days without food but would naturally only last four days without water. It is one of the six essential nutrients the body needs for survival. Water is very significant because it supports every cell in the human body, allowing the body to maintain proper hydration throughout the day.
It is important to stay hydrated throughout the day. Healthy adults should drink at least 1 to 1.5 liters of water per day, but not all at once. Drink liquids such a natural juices and eating water-rich foods such as salads, fruits, and vegetables can contribute to hydrating the body.
Effects of dehydration
- Dehydration causes impaired energy
- Poor memory performance
- Dry and wrinkled skin
- Fast heartbeat
- Reduced urination or dark yellow urine
- High fever
Importance of hydration
- Hydration helps to improve physical performance. Whenever you lose a percentage of your body's water content, there is a significant impair of physical abilities and performance.
- Hydration (especially Water) can help prevent and cure headaches.
- Drinking more water (especially when you wake up in the morning) can help relieve constipation.
- Keeping yourself hydrated keeps kidney stones formation at bay. It also helps to treat people who already have kidney stones.
- Hydration prevents hangovers. Hangovers are partially caused by dehydration; hence, one of the great ways to addresses some of the major symptoms of hangover is through hydration.
- Staying hydrated reduces weight gain and improves weight loss.
Best ways to get hydrated
The best and common way to get properly hydrated is through drinking water. Apart from direct drinking of water, there are some other means of getting hydrated. They include; eating ice chips, drinking tea, natural juice, and coconut water. Eating foods that contain a considerable amount of water (such as fruits and vegetables) can also improve hydration.